Submitted by Cara Spindler
On Sunday, September 25 the Interfaith Council for Peace & Justice (ICPJ) is hosting the 42nd Annual Washtenaw/Ann Arbor CROP Hunger. ICPJ has organized this 5k charitable walk since 1974, raising a total of $3.2 million over the decades. Last year Washtenaw County walkers raised $48,500, with about 300 walkers participating.
CROP Hunger Walks are locally organized by businesses, schools, and communities of faith. “CROP” originally stood for the “Christian Rural Overseas Program,” a 1947 joint program between several church organizations to help with post-war poverty. Today these community-wide local events seek to raise funds to end hunger and increase food security and food-related social justice in the U.S. and globally. More than 1,600 walks take place across the U.S. annually. About 25% of the proceeds go to local hunger-fighting efforts, and the walker can determine where the remaining 75% of their raised funds goes (choosing from a vetted list of global hunger agencies).
Please come and walk with us on September 25! Call Cara Spindler ( 734-255-0939) if you want to coordinate more. Our contingent will gather at Trinity Lutheran at 1:30 pm.
STARTING LOCATION: Trinity Lutheran Church (1400 W Stadium Blvd., Ann Arbor, MI 48103)
DATE: Sunday, September 25, 2016, 1–4 PM
To sign up:
- Go to the CROP Hunger Walk website using this link
- Click REGISTER
- Fill out the form (or sign in using Facebook)
- When you get to “Create or Join a Team” choose “Join an existing team”
- Click “see list” next to the search box, and select “Ann Arbor Reconstructionist Congregation”
- Click the “Join Now” button.
Your friends and neighbors can donate via the website (once you log in there’s lots of tools for soliciting donations and accepting payment)—or you can bring a check/cash to drop off at the Walk.
See you on September 25!